Let us take you back in time to the ancient Byzantium, the ancient Greek city that later became Constantinople and modern Istanbul.
On this tour we will take you to the Golden Horn, a natural harbor, which has its name from its hornlike shape and the golden reflections glittering on the waves.
We also visit the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate at Fener, the official worldwide headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Church, ever since Constantine The Great declared Christianity the religion of the Roman Empire.
A short distance from the shore of the Golden Horn, you find the Church of Panagia of Blachernae, the best known and most celebrated shrine of the Holy Virgin famed with the “Hagiasma” (holy water) and the “Hagion Lousma” (sacred bath).
You also get to experience perhaps the most beautiful church in all of Turkey, St. Savior in Chora (Kariye Museum), originally a Byzantine monastery with incredible mosaics and frescoes.
We will also visit the Prison of Anemas and the Tekfur Palace (only from the outside), which are the only main structures remanining from the Blachernae Palace complex.
You will also see the impressive Byzantine City Walls that surrounded the acropolis of Byzantium with a 22 kilometer long fortification with 96 towers and nine main gates dating back to the 5th century.
Duration: 3 hours from 2:00 PM-5:00 PM.
The trip includes the following highlights:
- The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate at Fener
- The Church of Panagia of Blachernae
- St. Savior in Chora
- The Prison of Anemas
- The Tekfur Palace
- The Byzantine City Walls
Included in the ticket price: Transfer from/to centrally located hotels in Istanbul and a knowledgeable guide.
- Shortly after your booking is complete, you will receive an e-ticket by mail. Please print out your ticket and bring it with you on the tour.
- There is free round trip transfer to/from centrally located hotels near Taksim Sq., Sultanahmet and Aksaray. Before you can complete your booking, you will be asked to give us the name of your hotel, so we can arrange your transfer. If you stay at hotels near the airport or at hotels located at the Asian side of Istanbul, then there might be added a pick-up fee, or you will be asked to show up at a tour-start address in central Istanbul. Before you can complete your booking, you will be asked to give us the name of your hotel, so we can arrange your pick-up.
- The tour starts at 2 PM, but since you are being picked up at your hotel, we kindly ask you to call our tour operator approx. 24 hours in advance, in order to get you exact pick-up time to avoid waiting in the hotel's lobby. The phone number will clearly be started on the voucher/e-ticket we send you.
- The tour is in English.
- Children's tickets are available from age 3-7. Children from 0-2 years are free, when accompanied by a paying adult.
- The 'Tour to Byzantium' is available every Tuesday.